Shabby Blogs BG-March

Sunday, June 5, 2011

:: Making A Journal Cover ::


Goodbye weekend -- hello week!

I wanted to share with you a little project that I've been working on.  As you may or may not know, I love black and white classic films.  Nothing makes my heart pitter-patter more than to watch the likes of Norma Shearer, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Ginger Rogers, Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Arthur, Thelma Ritter, Irene Dunne, George Saunders, Kay Francis, James Cagney and of course... let's not forget Cary Grant, strut across the screen in black and white glamour!  I have been wanting to create a little journal so that I can start documenting the films that I've watched and to inventory all the films that I have in my collection.  Unfortunately I have a few years of classic films to catch up with!


To create the journal, I purchased a coil-ring journal/book from my local Homesense.  I find that they have quality journals there and they only cost me a few dollars oppose to buying 15 dollar journals from Chapters/Indigo/Coles.  I purchased and printed Mo Manning's "The Tramp" digital image and coloured the image with copics, edging the Copic cardstock with Antique Linen Distress Ink by Ranger.  The paper collection I used is from Graphic45's "Curtain Call".  All the flowers are from Prima.  I purchased Tim Holtz's Film Roll ribbon a couple of months ago because I knew I wanted to create this journal. The butterfly embellishment is from BoBunny's "Gabrielle" line.  I used American Crafts "Subway" letter in "Cream" and decorated the journal coils with scraps of Offray & American Crafts ribbon I had left around in "Black check, green and cream".  The checkered Offray ribbon is actually black and white but I wanted to make it fit the project so I took my Anitque Linen Distress Ink and swiped the ink pad against the ribbon to age it.  It does take a little while to let the material dry, but I will confess I was to impatient and ended up with inky distressed fingers!

I'm hoping to create another journal over the summer because I know that there simply won't be enough space! 

Hope your week is great!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Your journal is stunning!!!!
Perfect for documenting your classic films.
I could just keep looking at this as there is so much detail to look at.
Again just stunning :)

Anonymous said...

Wow this is so aweseome! Love all the elements on this. This is so beautiful Samantha!

Susan said...

Fabulous journal!